My Latest Meal Invention: Spaghetti Squash Salad O’Amazingness
I try to eat pretty healthy, limiting my sugars and carbs as much as I can (read Why We Get Fat if you want to learn more about this topic). And I don’t have much time to plan out recipes or shop for ingredients, so I often experiment in the kitchen with whatever I have.
Today, I rummaged through my food and decided to create a new spaghetti squash dish. First of all, I LOVE spaghetti squash, mainly for the fact that you can eat it like a pasta without worrying about calories or cabs (it has approximately 40 calories/cup - amazing). You can also cook it in the microwave (lazy chef win): just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, add a couple table spoons of water into each “bowl” of your two new pieces of squash, and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Once it’s cooled down a bit, just use a fork to scrape your squash into spaghetti. (What?! It can do that!? Yes, it is seriously a magical food.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Oh right, back to what happened today…
So my other latest obsession is kale chips. I’ve been working on creating my own recipe, but still haven’t found anything NEAR as delicious as Lydia’s Organics Kale Krunchies. I devour both the Sassy Spice and the Herbs de Provence flavors ($7.49/ea). They are also high in nutrients and low in calories (50 cals/serving).
I was eating a handful of kale chips while making my spaghetti squash when genius hit: why not combine them together? Turns out, it was DELICIOUS. Finally, I added a few slices of grilled chicken breast on top for some protein, and BAM! Yummy, nutritious meal, ready to go.
For those of you asking, here’s the how-to:
1) One spaghetti squash
2) One serving of Lydia’s Organics Kale Krunchies - Sassy Spice (this leaves you with leftovers to munch on later)
3) Grilled or baked chicken, cut in slices (I flavored mine with Mrs. Dash’s Fiesta Lime seasoning before baking at 350-degrees for 25 minutes)
1) Cut spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise (hot dog style)
2) Remove pulp and seeds with a spoon
3) Put 1-2 tbs water in each “bowl” of the squash
4) Put squash face up (or bowl up) on a plate, and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes
5) Once cooled, use a fork to scrap squash into spagetti like strands. Just start at either end of a squash half and drag your fork downwards. Continue until all squash is removed.
6) Mix one serving of Kale Krunchies into spaghetti squash. Add more flavor with salt and pepper to taste.
7) Slice up your chicken and add on top.